WAFCON 2022: Super Falcons thrash Botswana 2-0

Super Falcons

In their second Group C match of the ongoing WAFCON on Thursday, the Super Falcons defeated debutants Botswana 2-0 to avenge their loss to South Africa.

Ifeoma Onumonu and substitute Christy Ucheibe scored in each half to give the nine-time champions their first points of the tournament.

Chiamaka Nnadozie, Francisca Orgeda, Ngozi Okobi, and Toni Payne all started for Falcons head coach Randy Waldrum.

The Falcons finish second in Group C, facing Burundi in their final game on Sunday, while Botswana faces already qualified South Africa.

The Falcons dominated the early exchanges but were unable to break down Botswana’s tenacious defense.

But their perseverance was rewarded in the 21st minute when Onumonu ran on to a superb pass from Halimotu Ayinde before poking the ball past the onrushing Botswana keeper.

Botswana came close with a free-kick in the 32nd minute, but Nnadozie made a fine save to deny them.

The Falcons had a penalty shout for a foul on Ordega two minutes later, but the referee waved it away.

Botswana won a free-kick close to the Falcons box late in the first half, but their effort was headed away for a throw-in.

The Falcons made their first substitution before the start of the second half, with Christy Ucheibe replacing Rita Chikwelu.

And it was the perfect start, as Ucheibe rose highest to head home Payne’s corner in the 48th minute to make it 2-0.

Ucheibe came close to extending the Falcons’ lead again in the 52nd minute after controlling the ball from a set play, but her effort went just over the bar.

The Falcons made a double switch in the 64th minute, replacing Ordega and Okobi with Gift Monday and Regina Otu.

Onumonu had a chance to score her second goal after being played in by Monday, but her effort was well saved by the keeper.

Onumonu came close again, this time with a low shot that was just off target.

Waldrum made another substitution in the 75th minute, replacing Ajibade with Uchenna Kanu.

With 12 minutes remaining, Ayinde attempted a shot from outside the box, but it was palmed away for a corner.

The Falcons were awarded a free kick in a good area in the 85th minute, but Ucheibe’s shot was saved by the keeper.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

To Top