Liverpool on Sunday, released a statement in which they criticized the VAR error that resulted in Luis Diaz having a goal incorrectly ruled out for offside against Tottenham.
The Reds have now said they will now ‘explore a range of options’.
Jurgen Klopp’s men were reduced to 10 men in north London on Saturday when Curtis Jones saw his challenge upgraded to a red card by referee Simon Hooper after an intervention from VAR.
Despite their numerical disadvantage, Liverpool thought they had taken the lead when Mohamed Salah slipped in Diaz and the Colombian rifled into the far corner.
Unfortunately the linesman’s flag was raised for offside and after a brief check by VAR the game restarted with a free-kick to Tottenham.
However, it quickly became clear that an error had been made with Diaz clearly onside and refereeing body PGMOL released a statement after the match confirming that a ‘significant human error’ had occurred.
Spurs went on to win the match 2-1 thanks to a stoppage-time own goal from Joel Matip, with Diogo Jota also sent off in the second half after two yellow cards as the visitors were reduced to nine men.
It later transpired that VAR official Darren England mistakenly thought the on-field decision had been a goal so, after confirming that Diaz was onside, said ‘check complete’ to the on-field team – which they interpreted as meaning the goal had been offside.
While Liverpool appreciate PGMOL coming clean about the embarrassing mix-up, they have hit out at the usage of VAR and lack of intervention following the restart and say they will now explore options to ‘escalate and resolve’ the matter.