Lai Mohammed, Minister of Information and Culture, has stated that the security situation across Nigeria is far better than what it used to be when President Buhari took over the government in 2015.
The minister made this known during a media briefing on the progress the government has so far made in the war against terror and banditry. The briefing took place in Abuja today January 25.
Responding to a question from a journalist, Mohammed recognised the fact that there were difficulties, but the country had recorded progress.
“There is no doubt that we are much better than how it was,” he said
According to the minister, prior to 2015, suicide attacks by Boko Haram terrorists were taking place in every part of the country, including the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). He also added that Boko Haram terrorists roamed freely into the FCT wrecking havoc on buildings including the Force Headquarters, UN building while Churches and media houses were not spared.
He continued to maintain that the number of lives that were lost prior to 2015 were surely more when compared to the period Buhari had been in power.
He said prior to the Buhari administration, many Local Government Areas in the North East were under the restriction of the terrorists but no part of the region is within the hold of the sect members. He said schools that were formerly closed for fear of Boko Haram during the past administration, have been reopened.
The Minister said the Buhari administration was fully conscious of its duty to protect the lives and property of all Nigerians and would not relax in learning and adapting to changing threats to national security and civic wellbeing.