Special adviser to the president on media and publicity, Femi Adesina says only God knows when Leah Sharibu will be rescued.
Leah Sharibu and other school girls were abducted at Government Girls Science and Technical College Dapchi, by Boko Haram. The others were released leaving her behind because she refused to renounce her faith.
Yesterday, an online news site published a picture and audio of the teenager begging the government to help free her from her captors.
When Femi Adesina was asked to give a time-frame for Sharibu’s rescue, he said God is the sole determinant of her return.
“For how much longer, I think that question can only be answered by God. I believe that God is interested in that young girl and will ensure that she is preserved,” Adesina said on a Channels TV programme on Tuesday.
“I think when that clip that we have is verified, at least one will be sure that it’s her and when that is determined, we should all be glad that she is alive.
“When will she return? By the grace of God, the government is working on it and we believe she will be back.”
Adesina said President Muhammadu Buhari had made a commitment to do anything to rescue the kidnapped girls even if it means paying for their release.
The presidential spokesman said: “One thing we should always remember, as Nigerians, is that early in the life of this administration, then it was Chibok girls, the president said that whatever it will take to get the girls back including paying, he would do. It’s on record.”
He, however, denied reports that the government paid a ransom for the release of the other 110 girls.
“That is not confirming that there was payment on Dapchi because the then DG of DSS was categorical the day the girls were brought back and it was in public glare that no a dime was paid for Dapchi girls. On Dapchi, there was no payment,” he said.
According to Adesina, reaching out to the Sharibu family is not “a presidency matter”.
“I expect that the Yobe state government is doing that. In Nigeria, they expect the presidency to do everything,” he added.
Chelsea player, David Luiz has admitted that he would have left the club during the summer had it been former manager Antonio Conte remained in charge.
A similar statement was made earlier this month by Brazilian team mate, Willian, who revealed that there was 'no chance' he would still be playing for Chelsea if Conte was still calling the shots.