The Confederation of African Football, CAF, has said the knockout stage draw for the 2021-22 TotalEnergies CAF Champions League will be done on April 5.
In a statement on its website on Monday, CAF listed the eight clubs qualified for the quarter finals as Mamelodi Sundowns (South Africa), Raja Club Athletic (Morocco), Esperance du Tunis (Tunisia), Wydad Athletic Club (Morocco), ES Setif (Algeria), CR Belouizdad (Algeria), Petro de Luanda (Angola), Al Ahly (Egypt).
Below is the procedure for the event which can be watched live on CAF platforms at 15:00 Cairo local time (13:00 GMT).
Six Pots will be used for the draw.
Pot 1 will contain all 2nd place teams (runners-up) of their groups:
· Al Ahly SC,
· ES Setif,
· CR Belouizdad,
· Petro de Luanda
Pot 2 will contain 3 balls of the 1st place team of Group A: (Mamelodi Sundowns x 3 balls)
Pot 3 will contain 3 balls of the 1st place team of Group B: (Raja CA x 3 balls)
Pot 4 will contain 3 balls of the 1st place team of Group C: (Esperance de Tunis x 3 balls)
Pot 5 will contain 3 balls of the 1st place team of Group D: (Wydad AC x 3 balls)
Pot 6 will be an empty pot.
· Pick a ball from the runners-up pot (Pot 1) and show the team drawn.
· Pick 1 ball from the other pots (pots 2,3,4&5) except the pot that has the team that played in the same group of the runner-up team drawn in step 1 (to avoid having two teams from the same group playing each other).
Example: if we pick the runner-up (2nd of group A), we take one ball from pot 3, one from pot 4 and one from pot 5 and we eliminate pot 2 (containing the balls of 1st of Group A).
· The picked balls in step 2 are put in the empty pot (Pot 6).
· Mix the three balls of Pot 6 before picking one ball to determine the team who will face the runner up drawn in step 1 for the Quarterfinal 1.
· The same process will be repeated three more times in order to determine the remaining fixtures (Quarterfinal 2, Quarterfinal 3 & Quarterfinal 4) while eliminating the pot of the ball drawn in step 4.
According to the regulations: The runners-up shall play the first leg matches of the quarterfinals at home.
One Pot will contain all the quarter finals as follow: QF1 – QF2 – QF3 – QF4
· The first 2 balls drawn will play each other in SF1. The ball drawn first will play the first match at home and the ball drawn second will play the return match at home.
· The last 2 balls in the pot will play each other in SF2. The ball drawn first will play the first match at home and the ball drawn second will play the return match at home.
The winner of SF1 plays the final against the winner of SF2.