Sport

CAF AFCON shift is rubbish, says Fashanu

John Fashanu CAF AFCON

Former England international. John Fashanu, has criticised the shifting of the African Cup of Nations from 2023 to 2024 by the Confederation of African Football, CAF.

The competition had been scheduled for June 23 to July 23, 2023, in Ivory before the shift was announced.

CAF president, Patrice Motsepe, who made the announcement in Rabat, Morocco, on Sunday, said the shift became necessary because of the weather conditions in the West African country.

Reacting, Fashanu who described the shift as rubbish said it favours top European Leagues.

He said, “This is a dream come true for the English Premier League and for other European leagues.

“It is a lovely way for them to say none of the African players will be leaving the clubs for the biggest tournament in Africa next year.

“But it is terrible and it is ridiculous to use weather as an excuse to postpone the AFCON because when has the weather ever stopped a footballer from playing football?

“Is it when it is snowing, raining or when the sun is so hot that I wouldn’t play football? It is absolute rubbish and I call it rubbish. I wasn’t surprised when I saw the news but I was rather horrified and it looks like we are going backward.

“I just hope that we can get it right in Africa and I don’t think one of the biggest tournaments in Europe would have been postponed because of weather.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

To Top