Connect with us


Tagbs’s Death: Davido’s Men Confess, tell why they dumped his body



The last has not been heard of the controversy surrounding the death of Tagbo Umeike, friend to Nigerian pop star David Adeleke, popularly called Davido, as the other suspects who were detained by the police have given an insight into what  actually happened the night Tagbo died.

Reports credited to the Lagos State
Police Command had revealed that Tagbo had a night of heavy drinking and
allegedly consumed about 40 shots of Tequila, a strong alcoholic
beverage.  He was alleged to be in company of  his friends, including Davido, before his body was abandoned at Lagos Island General Hospital in the early hours of October 3.
The news of his death was made known to
the public following the outcry of Umeike’s girlfriend, Nollywood
actress Caroline Danjuma, who accused Davido of abandoning his friend.
That outburst led to the arrest and interrogation of Davido and three
other suspects by the police.  While the other three suspects are still being detained in police custody, Davido was released unconditionally.
According to a police source, there was
no need to detain Davido as all the evidence gathered in the cause of
interrogation and investigation exonerated him. “Tagbo is an adult and
was not forced to consume that quantity of alcohol that is dangerous to
his health. He had nothing to do with his death, rather investigation
revealed that he was even more concerned about the safety of the
deceased while he was still alive”, the source stated, pointing to a
dead end in efforts to bring charges against the music star over the
controversial death of his friend.
Why we dumped Tagbo’s body
Meanwhile some of the suspects who were
detained after interrogation at the Police State Criminal Investigation
Department , Panti have told the police that they dumped Tagbo’s body
and fled the hospital when the doctor on duty confirmed that he was dead
for fear of being treated as suspects. Some of the suspects who are in
custody are Davido’s police security detail, Tunde Yussuf , as well as
his friends Busari Idris and Agbeja Olaoye all of who completely
exonerated Davido.
According to Yussuf, who is a spy policeman , he was posted to work for Davido as part of his security details.  He
said that on the day of the unfortunate incident, they had gone to a
party with the pop star at a club known as Shasha Room where they met
Tagbo already drunk. 
After spending some time, they moved to
Oniru beach where Fuji music star Wasiu Ayinde was to perform at a
birthday party that night.
According to him, they expected Tagbo to
go home since he was already drunk but was surprised that he followed
them to that place too.  Moments later, one of Davido’s boys informed them that Tagbo was not okay.
He said Davido then requested that they
should take one of his Hilux vehicles and follow those taking Tagbo to
the hospital. As soon as they got there, the boys who took Tagbo to the
hospital rushed in to call the police. “He was still in the car when the
doctor came out and checked him and then said that he is dead. Moments
later, the boys came out and told me that it was time to get out of the
The second suspect Olaoye who was in the
car with Tagbo before he died told the police that he fled when the
doctor confirmed him dead to avoid being treated as his killer.
According to him, Tagbo was at the party
long before Davido arrived and there was so much free drinks. “He
demanded for a drink known as tequila and probably to show that he can
consume a lot and still stay sane, took several shots of the drink.
As at the time Davido wanted to leave the
party for another one, Tagbo was already drunk and violent. Davido who
was concerned about his plight offered to carry him in his car but was
advised against it because he was drunk and misbehaving. They advised
him to go home but he insisted that he was going to the beach party with
them. He then joined their car which was part of the convoy . It was
while they were there that he started screaming and gasping for
At that point, he said they contacted
Davido through the boys who were around him and they were told that
Davido asked that he should be taken to the hospital immediately. On
their way, he also noticed that one of Davido’s security men followed
them to the hospital.
Olaoye insists that Tagbo was still
breathing when they arrived at the hospital. They ran into the hospital
requesting that there was an emergency, unfortunately by the time the
doctor arrived, Tagbo had died.
They were then asked to fill a from to
enable the hospital prepare his death certificate. They were able to get
his international passport to get his correct name and age.
“The doctor then said that people
in-charge of such case were coming and that we should wait and meet them
before the corpse can be kept in the mortuary.”
Olaoye knew that they were referring to
the police, so they all decided to run away from the hospital. They
quickly jumped into the Hillux driven by Davido’s security detail and
left the hospital. They also tried calling Davido to let him know the
outcome of their trip to the hospital but his phones were switched off.
Everyone of them retired to their various houses with the hope that by
the next day they would help trace Tagbo’s family members. 
Insisting that they are all innocent ,
Olaoye told the police that they ran away that night because in Nigeria,
“even if it is clear that you had nothing to do with the death of
someone, as long as you were at the scene, they will lock you up and
accuse you of murder.”
Busari Idris who was also in the car on
the day of the unfortunate incident also confirmed Olaoye’s statement.
He said that they only knew his details from the international passport
found in his wallet.
According to him,
Tagbo was gasping for breath and screaming that his stomach was burning.
He said they had no choice but to rush him to the hospital, adding that
he was still breathing when they got to the hospital but lost him
before the doctor could come to check him that night which was around
3am the next day.
“When the doctor said that we have to wait for the police, we knew the implication, that was why we fled the scene.”
What Davido told the police
In a short statement at the police
station , Davido said he knew Tagbo just like the other boys hanging
around him. According to him, he was invited to attend the birthday
party of a friend whom he identified as Adelewe. At about 8pm on October
2, he left his house to attend the birthday party at Shasha Room in
He was seated at another table with other
friends while Tagbo and several others were behind them drinking and
making noise. He only observed that Tagbo was consumming so much Tequila
while the boys with him on the table were cheering him.
An hour later, he said he stood up and
moved down to his car. He was heading to G12 at Oniru beach to attend
another event, where Wasiu Ayinde was to perform.
He stated that almost all his boys and fans followed him to the car park including Tagbo who was drunk and unstable.
According to him, he was worried and
tried to persuade him to enter his car but because he was misbehaving
his security details and personal assistants advised that he should not
take him in his car but rather he would enter another car in his convoy.
He left the club and attended the party
at Oniru beach. An hour later , he moved to another club on the Island
known as DNA for another event before retiring home for the day in the
early hours of October 3.
Davido told the police, that he never
heard anything from him again till he was informed by his personal
assistant that Tagbo had died.
Other suspects face charges
At the time of filling this report, there
were indications that the police may file charges against the other
three suspects being held in custody. It was also confirmed that the
police may have come to a dead end in their initial plan to draw charges
against Davido as well because the music star was exonerated by the
statements given by all the suspects.