Pregnant woman suffers womb rupture in Police custody

An expectant mother, Mrs Tosin Taiwo, is battling to save her unborn baby
after allegedly suffering a womb rupture following her collapse in
police custody on Tuesday.
Mrs Taiwo who claimed to have bled for
two days in police cell, said she was rushed to Randle General Hospital
in Surulere, where it took doctors two hours to revive her.
She said she spent four days in
detention at Surulere Police Station and was denied bail by the
Investigating Police Officer (IPO). Mrs Louisa Njoku, who claimed to be
acting on “orders from above”.

Mrs Taiwo, who is in hospital at Agbado
Ijaiye, a Lagos suburb, said she was arrested last Saturday at Meiran
Market over the N4.2million she is owing Ajibola Abudu, a businessman.
The woman, who is eight-weeks pregnant, said her scan result shows there is a rupture in her womb. She told The Nation yesterday that she suffered breath seizure in detention.
Mrs Taiwo said:
 “I was locked up for
four days without bail. I bled on Saturday and Sunday, I also told the
policemen that I was not feeling well but nothing was done. I was taken
to Randle General Hospital but I left there on Tuesday evening. I am now
at a family hospital in my area where I have done scan and they said
there is a rupture somewhere in my womb.
“It must have been caused by my
inability to breathe while inside the cell. I could not cope there, I
suffered breath seizure. The toilet was dirty and the stench in the cell
was unbearable. It was choking. There was even no water to bath or
anything. The experience was horrible.”
She said she borrowed money from the
complainant to do business last May but was duped, adding that he
rebuffed all her entreaties for a payment plan.Abudu, she claimed, insisted that she should pay the money once.
Her husband Olusola Taiwo said the IPO
disobeyed the order of Area C Commander Tajudeen Bakare, an Assistant
Commissioner of Police (ACP), to release her.
He said: 
“She refused to release and did
not charge her to court. I told the IPO that my wife was not feeling
well but she refused to listen.
“The IPO said she will not grant her
bail due to instruction from above. I believe the complainant gave the
instruction. That is why he brought the case to Surulere Police Station
where he knows officers.
“One of the officers, who arrested her at Meiran, boasted that she would rot in jail.
“He brought police to arrest her on
Saturday and detained her at Surulere Police Station. All efforts to
secure her bail proved abortive as the IPO told us there was instruction
from above not to grant her bail.”
Taiwo said after he failed to secure his
wife’s bail on Sunday and Monday, he went to see Bakare, who called the
parties and pleaded with Abudu to accept the payment plan.
“But the complainant refused insisting
on complete payment, otherwise, my wife should be charged to court. When
the Area Commander saw that he was not cooperating, he ordered the IPO
to release my wife since the case was a civil matter, but his directive
was not followed by the IPO who restated there was an ‘order from above’
to detain her.
“Because of our insistence, the IPO said
she would be charged to court on Tuesday morning. We went to the
station early in the morning and waited for that to happen. It was in
the course of waiting that my wife fainted.
“We rushed her to Randle General
Hospital with the IPO in the vehicle and it took about two hours before
she was revived. I was called to come to the station and sign for her
bail while she was still at the hospital,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

To Top