NYSC finally clears the air on the death of the female corps member neglected in Kano

A report conducted by the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) on the
death of Ifedolapo Oladepo, a corps member of the 2016 Batch ‘B’, who
died at the National Youth Service Corps orientation camp in Kano, has
revealed that she had an untreated kidney infection.

According to Punch, the report was presented by Minister of Youth and
Sports, Solomon Dalung and Director General of the NYSC, Brig-General
Suleiman Kazaure on Tuesday in Abuja.

Kazaure attributed Ifedolapo Oladepo’s death to her “refusal to disclose
an ailment she had been battling with before resuming to camp.”

He said,

“It is clear that the deceased had an ailment which she did not
disclose. From the doctors’ report, the corps member died of renal
sepsis occasioned by infection. 

Even, to the untrained, kidney infections do not develop and degenerate
to the level of mortality in three days (i.e 7th to 29th November,

The deceased first appeared at the camp clinic with complaints of
headache and fever, which she said she had been experiencing for two

On examination, the doctors on duty noticed rashes on her legs, which
she claimed started appearing as a result of her use of a second-hand
knickers she bought without first washing it. 

Doctors noticed increase in the rashes on her legs, the deceased still
dismissed it as a reaction to usage of a second-hand knicker. By this
time, she had been vomiting. Therefore, she was admitted at the camp
clinic and treated with Drazamol injection and Piriton to soothe her
body pains as she was already on malaria drugs.”

The DG said Oladepo been stabilised for the long journey to Aminu Kano
Teaching Hospital for immediate dialysis, but she passed on before
reaching the hospital.

He said,

“The investigation showed that the deceased responded well until about
2:00am on 29th November when her condition worsened, and her body began
to show noticeable signs of fluid retention. 

She was thereafter placed on oxygen as the doctors battled to stabilise
her for the long journey to Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital.”

She finally died at about 4:00 am on November 29, 2016.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

To Top