President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed a visually impaired man, Dr.
Samuel Inalegwu Ode Ankeli as his Senior Special Assistant.
Ankeli will be responsible for serving as the president’s liaison for people living with disabilities.
His appointment was communicated on Monday, through a statement issued by the presidential spokesman, Mallam Garba Shehu.
Here are 5 things to know about Dr. Ankeli.
1. He headed the Directorate of Persons With Disability at the
Buhari/Osinbajo APC presidential campaign headquarters, the first of any
such department in a political party in Nigeria.
2. He led a team that successfully mobilized a large number of the
more that 24 million disabled persons in the country to support the APC
candidate and his running mate in the 2015 presidential election
3. Ankeli hails from Benue State. He went to school in Giwa, near
Zaria and Kaduna before reading veterinary medicine at the Ahmadu Bello
4. He worked with the Benue State government before quitting to give
time to his activist role in the promotion of the wellbeing of the blind
and people with all kinds of disability.
5. He leads a very active religious and sporting life. He is married and has children.