It is no longer news that the University of Lagos aka UNILAG has a new Vice Chancellor who is an alumnus of the school. Prof. Toyin Ogundipe was appointed as the new Vice-Chancellor of the university 2 days ago.
The University of Lagos, one of Nigeria’s foremost universities has given the mandate of leadership of the great institution to Prof. Ogundipe, a Professor of Botany and the erstwhile Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Academic and Research.
- Prof. Ogundipe was is an erudite scholar born in 1960 and has served the university with great purpose and commitment.
- Professor Ogundipe is a member of many scientific organisations.
- He has been a Life member, International Society of Plant Morphologist.
- He is a fellow of Cohort 9 of the Leadership for Environment and Development, and the Linnaean Society, London.
- He is a reviewer for many scientific academic journals and an external examiner to many universities including University of Johannesburg, South Africa.
- He has been on the accreditation team to many universities in Nigeria and Ghana.
- He is Professorial Assessor to many universities including the University of Ghana.
- He has well above eighty(80) research articles in various high profile journals both locally and in the international setting.
- Prof. Ogundipe has coauthored seven reviewed books of international acclaim.
- He is also a three-time co-recipient of the University of Lagos, Faculty of Science Best Researcher Award.
- He has supervised and co-supervised many M.Sc and PhD students with two of his PhD students winning the prize for the best thesis on several occasions.
- Prof. Ogundipe has also been a recipient of many financial aids from Tetfund and the University of Lagos Agricultural Research Council.
- He has contributed immensely to extensive research on biodiversity and the theory of evolution.