How Candle light burned baby to death in Onitsha

A 4-month old baby, Chimmuanya Chukwu was on Saturday, burnt to death following a candle fire that gutted a room apartment at Okija Street, Awada in Onitsha, Anambra State.

The Nation gathered that the mother of the baby had left the baby at home around 7pm to recharge her torch in the neighborhood when the incident happened.

Narrating her ordeal, the mother of the baby, Mrs Oluchi Chukwu said her baby was fast asleep when the wax of the candle light she litted got exhausted and spread into the inflammable material she laid on.

“I went out to charge my rechargeable torch because there was no electricity within my vicinity when the candle exhausted its wax and melted on an inflammable material leading to the fire which engulfed their room,” she said.

The visibly devastated woman explained that those who assisted in putting out the fire could not rescue the baby as they were ignorant of her presence in the room.

“My baby couldn’t have died if those who came to our rescue were aware that she was inside. It was unfortunate that I lost my baby in such a manner,” she lamented.

Chukwu said she took the baby to a private hospital where she was confirmed dead, adding that she had been buried.

The caretaker of the building, who witnessed the incident, regretted that the baby had died before the inferno was brought under control by neighbors.

A tenant, Innocent Chukwu said the fire could have escalated but for the quick intervention of neighbours.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

To Top