Bras are more or less a must for most girls, yet they may be extremely inconvenient. Finding the appropriate size is half the battle, but then there’s the issue of falling straps, protruding wires, and awkward necklines to contend with. Fortunately, women have been wearing bras for millennia, and in that time, we’ve developed a plethora of tips and methods to help you get through the most awkward situations. So, everybody who wears a bra should read these 15 life-changing bra tricks. You’ll wonder how you ever got by without them.
Here are some useful bra hacks to help you…
1. Make a backless bra out of an old bra. Simply cut where the bottom of the strap joins the back and where the back meets the cup (if you’re unsure, watch this video). You’ll be left with the bra cups and two loose straps. Then attach the bottoms of the straps to the bottoms of the cups so you can wear it like a backpack.
2. Create a caged bra with visible back straps. Don’t like the thought of wearing a bra with no back? Then make a bra with an awesome back that you’ll want to wear all the time. Take a strapless bra and three pieces of elastic to do so. You’ll cut the original back of the bra off, leaving approximately one inch on each side. Then stitch the three pieces of elastic in place of the back. It has a really cool appearance to it.
3. Sew a tab into your tank top to keep the straps from poking out. If you despise it when your bra straps protrude from your tank top, build a tiny holder in the underside of your tank to retain the straps in place. Check out this video to learn how to do it correctly.
4. After working out, bring your sports bras into the shower with you. You may hand-wash it in there while you’re getting ready. This will significantly extend the life of your sports bra.
5. Hang bras in your closet by laying them over a hanger. It will conserve space and keep them from being twisted.
6. Instead of purchasing a racerback bra, use a bra clip to temporarily pin your straps together. In a pinch, a paperclip will suffice.
7. Do not simply toss your bras in the washing machine. Those suckers are expensive and easily damaged. Instead, place your bra in a special plastic ball before washing it to ensure that it retains its shape.
8. Make a bra strap extension for low-back gowns and shirts. Low-back dresses are very flirtatious, but when your bra strap shows, the whole thing falls apart. If you don’t already have one of those special bras with an extra strap that wraps over your front and pulls your back strap down for backless tops, you can make your own for very little money. Cut an elastic piece the same length as your rib cage. Then, using a bra hook extender, detach the hooks from the eyelets. Sew one on either side of the elastic, ensuring that they are inverted so that they may be hooked together like a typical bra clasp.
9. For added support, sew an old bra onto a backless dress. Simply cut the straps off and hand sew it into any outfit.
10. Do your straps dig into your shoulders and cause pain? Under your bra straps, place silicone bra strap cushions. They reduce the strain created by strap tying and avoid skin grooves. While they’re fantastic for temporary relief and specific bras with super-skinny straps that irritate you, if this is a recurring issue, you should have a professional bra fitting.
Because your straps are working too hard and digging into your shoulders, you may need to move down a band size and up a cup size.