This S’African survived the ‘Synagogue church collapse’ by drinking her urine

Lindiwe Ndwandwe

Days after she came out of the rubbles of the Synagogue Church of All
Nations (SCOAN), South African Lindiwe Ndwandwe finally recounted her
five-day ordeal, revealing that she survived on her urine.

 Ndwandwe attributed her rescue to her faith in God.
According to her, she survived by drinking her urine after she got dehydrated.

She said: “I was trapped in the toilet for five days. I was hungry and
thirsty throughout my stay there. I couldn’t even move so I was just
lying down because there was no leg or headroom to move around.”

Rescue operations had been ongoing for four days when she walked out
unaided on the fifth day at about 2 am last week Tuesday after
excavation had been done in the section where she was trapped.
She said: “I was about to eat when I decided to visit the restroom.
When I was there, I heard this noise and then the ceiling of the toilet
came crumbling down.

“I heard people praying but I was alone in that place. I tried to sleep
but it was difficult. It was through a hole that I knew whether it was
day or night.
“On the third day, I knew they were rescuing people because I stopped hearing the voices of my neighbours.”

On how she survived, she said: “Remember I was about to eat when I
decided to visit the rest room. When I was hungry, it was then I started
having a conversation with God. Anytime I was hungry or thirsty and I
told God, I will just fall asleep. On the fourth day, I was becoming
“And I was more thirsty. It then occurred to me that the only thing to
do was to drink my urine. But I couldn’t even do that because I was
lying on my side and the ceiling was hanging over me.

“So I removed my vest from my neck, put it round my legs and urinated
on it. The same urine-soaked vest was what I sucked on anytime I got
On how she was rescued, she said she heard two men arguing on whether
to dig where she was or not and when they did, she came out alive with a
few bruises on her arms.

She said: “When I was rescued and I called my husband, the only thing
he could say was thank God. I could hear the loud shouts of my family
rejoicing in the background.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

To Top