News

Family of 24 die after eating ‘poisoned’ food in Sokoto state

Sokoto state

A family of 24 have all died in Sokoto state, after eating poisnous food.

This was confirmed by the State Commissioner for Health, Ali Inname, on Tuesday.

According to Inname, the incident happened on Monday in Danzanke village of Bargaja ward, Isa LGA of the state.

The 24 victims are believed to be members of an extended family living together in a compound.

Inname explained that fertiliser popularly called ‘Gishirin Lalle’ in Hausa was used as food seasoning. He said the fertiliser was thought to be salt.

He told NAN: “Regrettably, the entire family who ate the meal lost their lives, except two female members, who merely tasted the food and are currently responding to treatment, with very good chances of survival.

“Attempts to save the lives of all the affected people by providing the needed medical care proved abortive.”

The commissioner advised the public to keep away poisonous chemicals from easy reach.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

To Top