Gwen Shamblin net worth, husband, age, cause of death, nationality, biography & updates.
Gwen Shamblin Lara, an American author and influential figure, rose to prominence as the visionary behind The Weigh Down Workshop, a Christian-based weight loss program, and as the founder of the Remnant Fellowship Church. What set her writing apart was its unique fusion of weight loss strategies with Christian principles, capturing the attention of many.
Gwen Shamblin Lara possessed extensive knowledge in the field of dietetics and nutrition, having obtained degrees from the University of Tennessee and Memphis State University. Drawing upon her expertise, she devised The Weigh Down Workshop as an alternative approach to shedding excess weight, distinct from conventional methods reliant on calorie counting or strict dietary restrictions.
Gwen Shamblin Profile Summary
|Celebrated Name||Gwen Shamblin Lara|
|Age||68 Years Old|
|Nick Name||Gwen Shamblin Lara|
|Birth Name||Gwen Shamblin Lara|
|Profession||Author, Founder of the Christian diet program The Weigh Down Workshop|
|Place Of Birth||Memphis, Tennessee|
|University||University of Tennessee in Knoxville and Memphis State University|
|Husband||Joe Lara, David Shamblin (ex-husband)|
|Children||Michael Shamblin and Elizabeth Hannah|
|Net Worth||$1 Million – $5 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Books, Work, and being the founder of the Christian diet program “The Weigh Down Workshop”|
|Hair Color||Light Brown|
|Cause Of Death||Plane Crash|
|Death Date||May 29, 2021|
Gwen Shamblin Early Life and Nationality
Gwen Shamblin Lara was born on February 18, 1955, in Memphis, Tennessee, USA. As a proud American, she spent her childhood and formative years in the United States. Gwen Shamblin Lara’s nationality was American, and she identified herself as an American of European descent, belonging to the Caucasian ethnicity.Her upbringing was deeply rooted in the Christian faith, as she was raised in a Church of Christ family.
Gwen Shamblin Educational Background
Gwen Shamblin Lara pursued her academic journey with a focus on dietetics and nutrition. She obtained an undergraduate degree in dietetics from the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, showcasing her dedication to the field. Building upon her passion, she furthered her education by earning a master’s degree in food and nutrition from Memphis State University. Gwen Shamblin Lara’s commitment to expanding her knowledge in these areas laid the foundation for her future endeavors.
Gwen Shamblin Career Highlights
Gwen Shamblin Lara’s career was characterized by her unwavering dedication to helping individuals achieve their weight loss goals. After working for the state’s health department for five years, she established herself as a registered dietitian and consultant. Additionally, she served as a faculty member at Memphis State University for five years, where she contributed her expertise in the field of weight control.
In 1980, she embarked on a new chapter by launching her consulting practice specializing in weight control. She developed a unique perspective that challenged the conventional beliefs surrounding weight loss. Recognizing the limitations of genetics, metabolism, and behavior modification, she sought to uncover the underlying reasons why some individuals struggled with weight while others remained thin.
Driven by her insights, Gwen Shamblin Lara founded the groundbreaking Weigh Down Workshop, a weight loss program that defied traditional norms. Unlike programs emphasizing strict rules, the Weigh Down Workshop advocated for intuitive eating, promoting the idea that there are no forbidden foods, exercise regimens, or weigh-ins. The program encouraged participants to develop discipline by eating only when hungry and stopping when full.
Gwen Shamblin Lara’s innovative approach quickly gained traction, reaching audiences far beyond the United States. Her twelve-week seminar program spread to Europe and was adopted by approximately 600 churches across 35 US states. The Weigh Down Workshop became a global phenomenon, attracting individuals seeking a fresh perspective on weight loss.
In 1996, Gwen Shamblin Lara’s vision materialized further as the Weigh Down Workshop built its headquarters in Franklin, Tennessee. This move was accompanied by the establishment of an annual summer convention called Desert Oasis, held in the Nashville area. With classes eventually expanding to all fifty US states and every continent, the Weigh Down Workshop became one of the world’s most popular weight-loss programs by the mid-2000s.
Additionally, in 1999, Gwen Shamblin Lara founded the Remnant Fellowship Church, marking the beginning of a new spiritual journey. To support the growth of the church, she acquired 40 acres of land in Brentwood, Tennessee, where the construction of the church building took place. The Remnant Fellowship Church gained prominence, and their church program reached a wider audience through live webcasts.
Gwen Shamblin Authorship and Media Appearances
Gwen Shamblin Lara’s impact extended beyond the confines of her weight loss programs and church. As a prolific author, she shared her insights and wisdom with a broader readership. Her notable works include:
- “The Weigh Down Diet” (March 1997): This book offered guidance on using spirituality to overcome overeating and achieved tremendous success, selling over 1.2 million copies.
- “Exodus: Daily Devotional”: A self-published devotional book that aimed to inspire and guide readers on their spiritual journeys.
- “Rise Above: God Can Set You Free from Your Weight Problems Forever”: This book explored the powerful connection between spirituality and weight loss, providing readers with valuable tools for overcoming weight-related challenges.
- “Out of Egypt: Inspiration for Conquering Life’s Strongholds”: In this work, Gwen Shamblin Lara delved into the concept of breaking free from personal struggles and finding strength in faith.
Furthermore, Gwen Shamblin Lara’s teachings and accomplishments attracted significant media attention. Her insights and methodologies were featured on various television programs, including BBC, 20/20, A Current Affair, The View, and Dateline (Australian). Her expertise was sought after by reputable publications such as Family Circle, Good Housekeeping, Woman’s Day, and numerous newspapers. She also made appearances on popular shows like The Today Show, CNN’s Larry King Live, DaySide, and The Early Show. Notably, The Tyra Banks Show dedicated an hour-long program to Gwen Shamblin Lara, the Weigh Down Diet, the Fellowship, and participants from Weigh Down programs.
In late 2011, Gwen produced a live Internet show titled “You Can Overcome,” further expanding her reach and spreading her message to a wider online audience.
Gwen Shamblin Husband
Gwen Shamblin Lara experienced two significant marriages throughout her lifetime. Her first marriage was to David Shamblin in 1978, with whom she had two children named Michael Shamblin and Elizabeth Hannah. After several years together, Gwen and David Shamblin divorced in 2018. Following this, she found love again and married actor and model Joe Lara in the same year. The couple enjoyed a happy life together until their untimely demise.
Gwen Shamblin Cause of Death
On May 29, 2021, Gwen Shamblin Lara, her husband Joe Lara, and five other church leaders tragically lost their lives in a plane crash. The small private plane, N66BK, crashed into Percy Priest Lake near Smyrna, Tennessee, shortly after takeoff. Authorities and rescue teams made efforts to locate survivors but ultimately shifted their operations to recovery as no survivors were found. The other passengers who perished in the crash were Jennifer J. Martin, David L. Martin, Jessica Walters, Jonathan Walters, and Brandon Hannah. This devastating event shook the community and left a void in the lives of those who knew and admired Gwen Shamblin Lara.
Gwen Shamblin Net Worth
Gwen Shamblin Lara’s net worth was estimated to range from $1 million to $5 million. She accumulated her wealth through book deals, tapes, television appearances, and other sources. Her contributions to the field of weight control and her success as an author and church founder allowed her to live a luxurious lifestyle.
Trivia facts about Gwen Shamblin Lara
- Gwen Shamblin Lara’s weight loss program, the Weigh Down Workshop, gained significant popularity and was featured on major television programs like 20/20, The View, and Larry King Live.
- She believed that spirituality played a crucial role in weight loss and encouraged participants to rely on their faith to overcome overeating.
- Gwen Shamblin Lara emphasized intuitive eating, teaching people to listen to their bodies’ hunger and fullness cues rather than following strict diet rules.
- She founded the Remnant Fellowship Church in 1999, which aimed to promote spiritual growth and provide support for individuals seeking a deeper connection with God.
- Gwen Shamblin Lara and her husband Joe Lara tragically lost their lives in a plane crash on May 29, 2021, along with five other church leaders.
- The Weigh Down Workshop expanded internationally, reaching participants in Europe and across different continents.
- Gwen Shamblin Lara’s books, including “The Weigh Down Diet” and “Out of Egypt,” provided guidance and inspiration for individuals seeking to overcome weight-related struggles.
- She was known for her energetic and passionate speaking style, captivating audiences with her motivational messages.
- Gwen Shamblin Lara’s teachings focused on the principles of self-discipline, self-control, and relying on God’s guidance in all aspects of life, including weight management.
- She had a strong presence in the media, making appearances on popular television shows and being featured in various publications.