Education

ASUU threatens fresh strike, gives FG Tuesday ultimatum

Ngige and ASUU

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has threatened to embark on another strike, if the Nigerian government does not fulfill its agreement with them by Tuesday, August 31.

Last year, ASUU embarked on a strike that lasted almost 10 months, over the non-implementation of its demands by the federal government.

The union, however, threatened fresh strike months after, citing the federal government’s failure to implement the agreement it signed with the union.

Earlier in August, representatives of ASUU had met with that of the federal government led by Chris Ngige, the minister of labour and employment, to discuss ways to resolve the planned industrial action.

But speaking with PUNCH, Emmanuel Osodeke, ASUU president, alleged that the federal government had stopped engaging with the union over an agreement both parties reached in May.

“The government has refused to reach out to us. Government officials have stopped. In fact, they don’t take our calls again. Nigerians should tell the government to do what they agreed to do,” he said.

“We signed an agreement and even in May, we reached a final agreement; this is August and nothing has been implemented. Does it make any sense? We are giving them till the end of August and after that, we start the procedures.”

In June, Osodeke had said that the body would embark on strike if the government does not fulfill its promises.

When contacted by TheCable Lifestyle, Moyosore Ajao, the University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) chairman of the union, said the body is still monitoring the negotiation process with the government.

“It’s the National Executive Council (NEC) of ASUU that declares strike and normally they do that after wield consultations. Let’s keep monitoring events as they unfold,” he said.

Click to comment
Sport

Akpoguma out of Super Eagles squad for 2022 World Cup qualifiers

Akpoguma

Kevin Akpoguma will not be available for Nigeria’s 2022 Fifa World Cup qualifying matches against Liberia and Cape Verde.

Hoffenheim have confirmed the 26-year-old has tested positive for coronavirus.

Akpoguma was among the 30 players invited by Gernot Rohr for Friday's match at the Teslim Balogun Stadium and next week's trip to Cape Verde.

However, he will immediately go into quarantine which rules him out of the trip to the West African country for the crucial World Cup qualifiers.

Kevin Akpoguma tested positive for Corona despite being fully vaccinated. He will not...

To Top