News

Pantami: Our hands are tied – Senate

Pantami

The Senate has claimed no person or group of persons has has approached it with any concrete evidence, that could lead to the sacking of the Minister of Communication and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami.

Audio clips of Pantami’s alleged support for terrorism in the past has surfaced on social media recently.

Many concerned Nigerians and religious organisations have demanded his immediate resignation from the cabinet of President Muhammadu Buhari.

But speaking with Sunday PUNCH, the Chairman, Senate Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Dr. Ajibola Basiru, said the upper chamber should not be blamed for clearing Pantami for appointment.

He said apart from the fact that it did not receive any petition against the embattled minister, there was no security report that indicted him as of the time of his screening.

Basiru added that no petition had been sent to the Senate, detailing specific allegations against Pantami, since the matter came to the limelight penultimate week.

BRT suspends operations along Ikorodu – TBS route

He nevertheless said the current controversy around the minister does not constitute any grounds for his sacking which only Buhari had the exclusive power to do.

Basiru said, “To start with, there is nothing that disqualified him from contesting an election based on the constitution of Nigeria.

“The Senate can only act based on the information at its disposal as of the time of the screening. We have not acted in any way against the law. No security agency approached us to give us any information that could indict him, both at the time of his appointment and even now. The Senate does not have the power to remove a minister. We can only screen, based on the information available to us and based on the report that we have from the security agencies.

'Send old generation out of power'- Obasanjo urge youths

“There is no way we could act based on social media reports. It is only the President who could decide to appoint and remove ministers. As far as we are concerned, we only hear people talk about the issue we don’t have any fact about the so-called allegation. We don’t have any fact, we did our job based on facts available to us.’’

He further said, “Those who are talking have not pointed to a particular law upon which he ought to be removed as a minister.

“Even if the information about him now, assuming it was available then (during screening), does it constitute a disqualifying factor of being a Minister under the Nigerian law?”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Entertainment

‘You are a bad person’ – Actress, Yvonne Jegede blasts everyone defending Baba Ijesha

Nollywood actress, Yvonne Jegede has taken to Instagram to blast everyone defending Baba Ijesha despite watching the video where he molested the 14-year-old girl.

KFN recalls that the hoarded CCTV video which was the only evidence against Baba Ijesha was released in the early hours of today and people like...

Most Popular

To Top