New born baby suffers wounds from Lantern fire in Calabar (video)


A newborn baby in Calabar, Cross River state, has suffered burns from a latern fire just after being delivered in a traditional home.

An Instagram user, Big Breezy shared a video of the new born baby and narrated how the mother of the child, identified as Mrs Okon Daniel, went to a “traditional delivery home” due to lack of funds to go to a proper hospital.

There was no power supply at the time of delivery, being on Saturday, November 14, 2020, so a lantern was used to illuminate the room.

Unfortunately, as the baby was making its entrance, the lantern fell and caught fire, burning the child.

At the time the video was recorded, the baby was already 4 days old and had been transferred to a different hospital in Calabar for better care.

“Graphic: Just came across this 4 days old baby at Victoria medical centre but the baby was later moved to Women and Children hospital along murtala Mohammed highway calabar.

The mother went to give birth at one traditional delivery home because of lack of funds to go to the hospital.

They used a big lantern for illumination in the room and as soon as the baby came out the lantern mistakenly fell over and caused an explosion which in turn burnt the baby.

I don’t want to imagine the pain the innocent baby is going thru and that of even the ignorant mother is going thru right now..

Please my people whatever you can do to help please i beg you reach out” Big Breezy wrote

Below is a video of the child. 

Get more stories like this on Twitter


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.