Hours ago, it was confirmed that the deadly Corona Virus disease has hit Lagos, Nigeria.
According to the Lagos state governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the virus was confirmed in an Italian man who came from Milan on the 25th for a brief business visit.
The man fell ill on Wednesday the 26th and was transferred to Lagos State Biosecurity Facilities for isolation and testing. He is presently being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba.
Well, you need not panic, here are some easy ways to protect yourself from the virus:
- Most people who become infected suffer only a mild illness, and they easily recover. But it can be more severe in others, especially the elderly and people with other underlying chronic illness. Again, it’s very important that you do not panic.
- Wash your hands with soap and running water as often as you can. You should also use alcohol based sanitisers.
- It’s very important that you do not spread false news on social media, so that others do not panic.
- Avoid touching your face, nose and mouth with your hands.
- Disinfect objects you touch regularly, like your phone and your keyboard.
- You definitely should leave some distance between yourself and a sneezing or coughing person, and if you’re sneezing or coughing then you should stay home.
- When you cough or sneeze, cover your nose and mouth with a handkerchief, tissue, or the inside of your bent elbow, then dispose of that tissue or handkerchief immediately.
- If you are feeling unwell, please stay home.
- It is most important that you do not panic, and you do not spread panic in others. Again, most people who get infected only suffer a mild illness and recover easily.
And then this press statement from the Lagos state ministry of health:
1. Regularly and thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water, and use alcohol-based hand sanitiser.
2. Maintain at least 1 & half metres (5 feet) distance between you apnd anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
3. People coughing persistently or sneezing should stay indoors or keep a social distance, but not mix with a crowd.
4. Ensure that you and people around you follow good respiratory hygiene by covering mouths and noses with a handkerchief or tissue while sneezing or coughing. You can also sneeze or cough into your sleeve at the bent elbow.Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
5. Stay indoors if you feel unwell with symptoms, such as fever, cough and difficulty in breathing. Please call Lagos State Emergency hotlines 08023169485 or 08033565529 or 08052817243 which are available day and night.
6. Stay informed on the latest developments about COVID-19 through official channels on TV and Radio, the Social Media, including the Lagos State Ministry of Health, NCDC and Federal Ministry of Health.
Citizens must not abuse social media and indulge in spreading misinformation that causes fear and panic.
The Lagos State Ministry of Health, in collaboration with Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, will continue to provide updates and will initiate all measures required to prevent the spread of any outbreak in Lagos.