Metro News

Candle light kills two-year-old boy, injures girl in Lagos

A two-year-old boy was burnt to death on Friday night while a five-year-old girl also suffered burns after candlelight gutted a storey building on Ben Okonkwo Street, Ikotun area of Lagos State.

PUNCH metro reports that the fire started from a self-contained flat on the top floor of the building.

The deceased’s mother had reportedly gone out to buy some food items, leaving the candle lit while her son and the girl were asleep.

It was learnt that before she returned, the candle had burnt out and engulfed the room.

“The fire started on Friday night as a result of candlelight while the woman stepped out to buy some food items. A boy of two years old was burnt beyond recognition. A five-year-old girl also suffered burns and she was taken to a hospital, but I can’t readily confirm whether the victims are siblings,” an emergency official told PUNCH.

READ
How slain OOU student was killed, thrown into Osun river - Police

LASEMA General Manager Dr Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, who confirmed the death of the boy, urged residents to avoid using candles and be safety conscious.

Tags

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
Close
Close