NewsSport

Anthony Joshua VS Andy Ruiz Jr: Rematch to take place ‘in November or December’

After the shameful defeat during the weekend, the rematch between Anthony Joshua and Andy Ruiz Jr has been fixed to take place in November or December, says Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn.

American-born Mexican Ruiz produced one of the biggest shocks in heavyweight boxing history to take Joshua’s IBF, WBO and WBA world heavyweight titles in New York on Saturday.

A rematch clause was part of the contract for the fight and Hearn says the clause had been triggered on Tuesday after talks.

“After meetings with AJ, Rob Mc[Cracken – Joshua’s trainer] and the management team in NY, we have today triggered the contracted rematch clause with Andy Ruiz Jr. The fight will take place in Nov/Dec at a venue to be confirmed shortly” Hearn said on Twitter.

READ
Muslim man speaks against child marriages prevalent in the North

British fighter Joshua was floored four times as Ruiz defied his underdog status to win in seven rounds at Madison Square Garden. The London 2012 Olympic champion subsequently had a concussion test after the first defeat of his 23-fight career.

In a post-fight news conference, Joshua was asked about potential fights with WBC world champion Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury. “I still want to compete with those men but a rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr is where we are at. I’m still a champ and I will rectify it to get the belts back” he said.

Tags

One Comment

  1. I am heading to the mountain until Anthony Joshua gets back his belt. Fasting and prayer mode activated. Dude has been an excellent role model for the sport and country and deserves better than such humiliation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
Close
Close