It is no longer news that Abubakar Adamu Mohammed also known as Adamu Lafia has been appointed by President Muhammadu Buhari as the new Inspector-General of Police.
The new IGP is set to take charge after the retirement of Ibrahim Idris, who has attained the statutory retirement of 60 in the force.
- Abubakar Adamu was born on the 9th of November, 1961. He enlisted in the police in 1986. He has a bachelors degree in geography.
- He is popularly within police circles as Adamu Mohammed Lafia, in reference to his place of birth, which is the Nasarawa State capital.
- Until his appointment on the 14th of January, 2019, Mr Mohammed, from Nasarawa State, was an assistant inspector-general by rank.
- He was at one time a director of peacekeeping operations. He is a former police commissioner in Enugu and was an AIG in charge of Zone 5.
- The Nasarawa-born police chief has served with the United Nations and INTERPOL.
- Abubakar Adamu was also a former Deputy Commissioner of Police(DCP) in Ekiti State.
- He is currently a directing staff member at the National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru, near Jos, Plateau State.
- He was said to have been sent on the compulsory course on the suspicion that he was penciled down by the presidency to succeed the outgoing IGP.