Hot News

Final decision taken on Justice Onnoghen’s trial

The Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja has barred the Danladi Umar-led Code of Conduct Tribunal from trying the Chief Justice of Nigeria, NJC, Walter Onnoghen.

A three-man panel of the court granted the interim order pending ruling on the Onnoghen’s application for stay of proceedings.

The appellate court stopped the CCT from proceeding with hearing in the false assets declaration.

Recall that the Code of Conduct Tribunal was adjourned until January 22 the next hearing in the trial of Chief Justice Walter Onnoghen for alleged false asset declaration.

Mr Onnoghen faced six counts of failing to disclose many bank accounts linked to him as a judge on the Supreme Court, which he had allegedly used to save millions in local and foreign currency.

At the opening hearing, Mr Onnoghen was absent, but he had a team of 47 senior lawyers, led by Wole Olanipekun, who represented him.

Entertainment News

Angola approves gay intimacy

Angola, a west-coast country of south-central Africa has now approved gay intimacy. The discrimination based on sexual orientation has been banned forcing many to reckon with gay,lesbians and bisexuals within the community.

The legalisation of gay sex took place on Wednesday, January 23,2019 as Angola’s parliament adopted the new first penal code since independence from Portugal in 1975.

This has been confirmed to be one of the reforms under the administration of President Joao Lourenco, a former defense minister who took office in 2017 after the long rule of Jose Eduardo dos Santos.

While there have been no known prosecutions under the law, provisions like this one curtail the rights and freedoms of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people, subjecting their intimate lives to unwarranted scrutiny.

Last year Angola gave legal status to Iris Angola, which was established in 2013 – a move that can now be seen as...

News

INEC rejects Ezekwesili’s withdrawal from presidential race

Presidential Candidate of ACPN, Dr. Obiageli Ezekwesili might be forced to retain her initial stance in the presidential race as the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC has turned down the withdrawal request which was announced hours ago.

Reacting to the sudden withdrawal of the race, less than a month before the 2019 general elections, the Electoral Body explained that it was acting on the Electoral Act which stipulates that a candidate would only withdraw from the race no less that 45 days to the date of elections.

As at the time of this report, Mrs. Ezekwesili is yet to react to the recent turn of events especially as her move has sparked mixed reactions from Nigerians with many questioning her motives for the action.

Metro

E-Money: Kidnap victim reveals how was kidnapped and released for $2m

An Enugu-based politician, victim, Tochukwu Okeke, has narrated how a suspected kidnapper, Collins Ezenwa,AKA E-Money, kidnapped him and collected $2 million as ransom.

Okeke told Vanguard that E-Money and his gang abducted him at Nsukka area of Enugu State and kept him for six days before the ransom of $2 million (N700million), was paid for his released.

According to him, while in captivity, he informed his lawyers to sell one of his landed property in Enugu and he depleted his domiciliary account, which he said had funds he wanted to use in paying his children’s tuition fees in Canada.

Okeke said “That was not the first time I was kidnapped. I was kidnapped in 2013 in my house and the kidnappers took only N6 million from me and I was released. They didn’t torture or maltreat me the way E-Money and his boys did.

“However, after I was released, I...

Most Popular

To Top