Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola believes Brahim Diaz’s departure for Real Madrid is a sign of good work being done by the club’s academy despite the loss of another bright prospect.
City had attempted to persuade the 19-year-old Spaniard to extend his contract with the club but admitted defeat and sold him to the Spanish giants in a deal that could rise to £22 million.
The midfielder was officially unveiled at Real’s Santiago Bernabeu stadium on Monday.
Asked if he was disappointed to lose Diaz, Guardiola said on Tuesday: “No. I said many times, we did with Brahim the same we did with Phil (Foden) and Jadon (Sancho), we did absolutely everything but in the end the only one who decides to stay is Phil so that’s all.”
Sancho, 18, has impressed at Borussia Dortmund since joining the Bundesliga club in 2017, earning three England caps.
But 18-year-old Foden signed a new six-year contract last month.
“We wish him (Diaz) all the best,”
Guardiola said on Tuesday. “Of course going to Real Madrid is not a bad step and hopefully he can get the minutes he didn’t get in the last period for many reasons. Nice guy.
“On the other side, again, congratulations for our academy, they are working so well and in the end this is what happens, important teams in Europe want to sign our players because it’s working really well.” (Supersport)