So, yesterday, confusion trailed the proposed partial closure of Lagos-Ibadan Expressway from Sunday, September 2, 2018 to Tuesday, January, 15, 2019 for repairs by Julius Berger Nigeria Plc.
Reports had earlier filtered in that the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway will be closed for 18 weeks. Refuting the planned closure, the Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, in Ogun State clarified the statement credited to it on the total closure of the expressway, saying, it will only divert traffic on the road temporarily.
In a statement, Route Commander, FRSC Public Education Officer, Florence Okpe said:
“It was for repairs of the road by Julius Berger, which will commence on Sunday, September 2, 2018 and end on Tuesday, January 15, 2019. “This is to inform the Motoring Public that there will be temporary traffic diversion on the Sagamu bound traffic along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway from km 26 around 200 meters from the existing RCCG Car Park C U-Turn to Km 28.
“Being a location just after RCCG main gate and narrowing of Lagos-bound traffic carriageway to accommodate two lanes for Lagos and Sagamu bound traffic respectively from Sunday 02 September 2018 to Tuesday 15th January, 2019, to enable Julius Berger Nigeria PLC, the construction company rehabilitating the Lagos-Sagamu segment of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway carry out resurfacing work on the road.
“The Federal Road Safety Corps Ogun State Sector Commander, Corps Commander Clement Oladele has therefore, advised motorists to bear with us on the inconveniences of the temporary diversion and cooperate with the FRSC patrol team assisted by sister traffic and emergency agencies that will be strategically deployed to control the diverted traffic throughout the period of the diversion.
“Motorists are, accordingly, advised to note that this may increase the time of their usual travelling period and should, therefore, increase the time of their travelling period whenever they are using this corridor during the period of the temporary diversion of traffic. “They are to drive within the maximum speed limit of 50km per hour, prescribed by the National Road Traffic Regulations, 2012, as maximum speed at construction zones. “They are also to observe lane discipline and enjoined to drive cautiously while obeying traffic rules and regulations around the diversion area and on all other road corridors.”
Ministry of Works Also reacting to the planned closure, the Federal Controller of Works, Lagos State, Mr. Adedamola Kuti dismissed the report describing it as fake news. Kuti said: “It is fake news. Where did they get the news from?” /