News

INEC receives signed petition for Melaye’s recall, 5 die from Lassa Fever in Ondo, and other major headlines you missed today…

Image result for kemi filani blog major headlines you missed today

Dear KFBers, we have got loads of interesting stories for you on  our Major headlines you missed today feature! Enjoy…..
INEC receives signed petition for Melaye’s recall

The Independent National Electoral Commission INEC has reportedly
received a collation of signatures from electorates in Kogi West
Senatorial district which is meant for the recall of Senator Dino
Melaye.

According to the Special Adviser on political affairs to
Kogi state governor, Yahaya Bello, Pius Kolawole, 188,588 voters,
representing 52.3 percent of the total number of registered voters in
Kogi West Senatorial district, have appended their signatures to the
recall letter to INEC.

Pius told journalists today, that the electoral act
requires one-half of the number of registered voters in a constituency
to recall a lawmaker and that of the 360,098 registered voters in Kogi
west Senatorial district, 188,588 of them which represents more than
one-half required for a lawmaker’s recall, have signed the petition for
Melaye’s recall.

Dino has however said that the recall by his
electorates will fail. He has accused the state governor of being behind
the campaign for his recall.
5 die from Lassa Fever in Ondo
No fewer than five people have reportedly been infected with the deadly Lassa fever in Ondo State.

According
to the Permanent Secretary of the state’s Ministry of Health, Dr. Taye
Oni, who spoke with journalists in Akure on Tuesday, the disease has
affected two people in Owo Local Government and two people in Akoko
North-West Local Government.

Similarly, a student of the Achievers University in Owo was also infected by the disease.

Dr.
Oni said, ” Of the cases recorded by the state government, we have a
56-year-old male, a 47- year-old female and another two people in Akoko
South-West. This is not the usual time it occurs in Ondo State. It
usually occurs during dry season and limited to Owo and Ose Local
Governments.

“Government is doing its best to contain the
recorded cases by isolating the patients to prevent further spread. We
also embarked on aggressive contact tracing, sensitisation of the people
not just in Owo and Ose but across the state on preventing and
precautionary measures.

“Most times, we have always run to Irrua
Specialists’ Hospital in Edo State but the facility is already
overwhelmed with so many cases across the country, that is why we are
collaborating with the Federal Medical Center, Owo in handling the
recorded cases.”

He noted that the state government was
supporting the FMC with protective kits, injections and tablets. He
appealed to people of the state to always visit the nearest government
hospitals whenever they are having reoccurring fever.

On the
affected student of Achievers University, the Vice-Chancellor of the
university, Prof. Tunji Ibiyemi, who confirmed the incident to our
correspondent on Wednesday, did not disclose the identity of the victim.

He
explained that the affected student, who he said, contracted the
disease from outside the campus, had been receiving treatment and would
be discharged from the hospital soon.

“Investigation carried out
by the university revealed that the affected student must have
contracted the disease from outside the university premises as none of
her roommates and friends, who have been screened, developed the
symptoms of the ailment. ” the VC stated.

The don further
explained that the institution had taken proactive steps to prevent the
disease from entering into to the school. He said the university often
fumigated the environment and held talks with the students on the need
to maintain personal hygiene to safeguard their health.

Ibiyemi
also stated that the institution had given the students three weeks
mid-semester break, adding the staff had been carrying out their
activities off campus till July 5, 2017.

He said, “The students
are expected to report back to school with a certificate of medical
fitness issued by a reputable government hospital .”

FG appeals against Saraki’s acquittal  
The Federal Government has appealed a court ruling that acquitted the
Senate President, Bukola Saraki, of charges of corruption and false
declaration of assets.

The government yesterday at the Court of Appeal Abuja filed eleven grounds of appeal challenging the judgment of the CCT.

The notice of appeal was signed by Rotimi Jacobs SAN and Pius Akutah, an assistant Chief State Counsel.

The government is seeking an order setting aside the CCT judgment of
June 14 that upheld the no case submission filed by Saraki at the close
of the prosecution’s case.

The FG also prayed the Court of Appeal for an order calling upon Saraki to enter his defence.

The government held that the CCT failed to point out any apparent
discredited evidence on the face of the record before upholding the no
case submission.

According to the government, the power of the CCT when upholding a no
case submission is to discharge Saraki and not to acquit him.

Man sacks wife for ‘moaning’ during rape by armed robbers 
A Benue State-born man (name withheld) has sacked his newly married wife
because she was making some ‘funny moaning’ sounds while being raped by
armed robbers in his presence.

According to Daily Post, the incident played out in the couple’s
residence on Bello Street in the Iyana-Ejigbo area of Lagos State, when
armed robbers visited them in the death of night few months after they
came back from their village where they had conducted their traditional
marriage.

It was learned that after the heavily armed gunmen invaded Baba Eneh’s
house around 3 am and demanded money, the native of Owukpa, Ogadigbo
Local Government Area of Benue allegedly told the gunmen that he had
only N3, 500 at home.

The man, a commercial bus driver, reportedly begged the robbers that he
did not have much money at home since he had expended all his savings on
marrying his new wife and they were just trying to settle down.

But the robbers who were angry that the man did not have much money at
home, decided to gang-rape his wife at gunpoint and descended on her.

However, when the robbers left after raping the woman, the commercial
driver was said to have raised hell, accusing his wife of enjoying the
rape by moaning in excitement and twisting her waist as the robbers
sexually assaulted her, instead of screaming for help.

He was quoted as telling his neighbours:

“Imagine my wife, instead of her to cry for help, she was busy making
some funny sounds, an indication that she was enjoying the sex, even in
my presence.”

He was said to have ordered the woman out of his house on the ground
that she disgraced him as it is against the customs of his community for
a married woman to have sex with another man.

The man is said to be afraid of what the gods of his land will do to him
and has asked the wife to return to her village for the cleansing rites
and sacrifices to be made.


UCH Trains Doctors, Nurses, Others On Pain Management

 The University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan, is training
some doctors, nurses and other staffers on pain management to equip
them to assess the condition and provide high-quality first line
treatment.

Dr Adefemi Afolabi, Staff Champion Coordinator of the Pain-Free Hospital
Initiative (PFHI), made the disclosure on Wednesday in Ibadan.

Afolabi, an endocrine surgeon, said the programme was being conducted in
collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health and the American
Cancer Society.

According to him, the goal of PFHI is to equip staff to assess pain,
provide high-quality first line treatment to improve on the overall
access to essential pain medication in Nigeria.

He said that to effectively implement pain management in a healthcare system required more than just access to medicines.

“It requires an understanding of when and how to give pain medication
and prioritisation of pain management as an essential part of care.

“Over the course of one year, PFHI is to train physicians, nurses,
pharmacists and other healthcare providers on how to assess pain levels
and dispense medication.

“The programme is to stress the importance of pain management for
patients, specifically those suffering from pain-related to cancer and
HIV,’’ he said.

He added that the primary goal was to actively raise the quality of life for every Nigerian through dedicated service delivery.

According to him, the PFHI is a pilot programme to strengthen the skills
of health workers and equip them to provide high-quality pain treatment
to their patients in line with International Treatment Guidelines.

“The project will ensure adequate supply of pain medicines at affordable rate in hospitals and will be used appropriately.

The project will be launched at a yet-to-be announced date after training has been completed,’’ he said.

 North Must Produce President Again – Northern Youth Leaders Insist
 The Northern Youth Leaders Forum, NYLF, has said that the ‘north will
not and will never allow the Presidency to move to the South in 2019’ no
matter what.

The group in a statement signed by Comrade Elliot Afiyo also enjoyed
northern youths to embrace dialogue and seek peace with everyone even in
the mist of provocations.

READ
Mohamed Salah training hard to stay fit for Egypt's first world cup game (Photos)

It condemned in strongest term the use of religion and ethnicity by
elders to divide the North just as it said that 11 persons, namely:
former vice president, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar; Governor Ibrahim Hassan
Dankwambo of Gombe State; Governor Aminu Tambuwal of Sokoto; the Senate
President, Dr Bukola Saraki; former Jigawa State governor, Alhaji Sule
Lamido; Governor Nasir El-rufai of Kaduna State; former Kano State
governor, Senator Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso; former Borno State governor,
Senator Ali Modu Sheriff; Governor Ibrahim Shettima of Borno State;
Governor Abdul’aziz Abubakar Yari of Zamfara State; Alhaji Tanimu
Turaki, and Senator Bala Muhammed; have been selected by the northern
politicians as presidential candidates for 2019 general elections.

The statement further said that as far as the northerners need the Igbo,
the Igbo need the Yoruba and the Yoruba need the Hausa. saying that we
‘have our differences; we should use these differences to foster our
unity.’ and that the north will continue to play safe and host the
Igbos, no matter the provocations but against the balkanization’

The statement reads thus:

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is absolutely necessary to address you today on
the current political and religious issues threatening the basic
foundation OF OUR dear Country Nigeria after the meeting of the National
Executive Council of NYLF which comprises the National Executive
Committee of NYLF, the state Chairmen and the Chairmen and secretaries
of the forty – two (42) affiliated Northern Organization at Kaduna
between the 16th and 17th of June, 2017.

1.Quit notice to Igbo by Coalition of Northern Youth

We viewed very seriously the quit notice issued by the coalition of
Northern Youth to Igbos to leave the Northern region on or before
October 1st, 2017 and the attendant reactions by various groups,
individuals and the Federal Government. We considered this notice as ill
advised, ill timed and uncalled for.

We strongly believe that these groups of Northern Youth were motivated,
encouraged and sponsored by some few individuals who felt cheated by
both the Federal Government and some states Government control by the
All Progressive Congress (APC). These individuals were used and dumped.
No recognition or appreciation was extended to them. They are therefore
bent on destabilizing the country.

Another reason that also prompted the Northern Youth to accept this
offer is the fact that our Igbo brothers for some years now, have been
frustrating, insulting and abusing other Nationalities especially the
Northerners calling us Cows and Parasites despite our efforts in
accommodating them.

However, we condemn in strongest term the approach of our brothers in
issuing an ultimatum to them. No nation or ethnic nationality will
survive on its own without the support and help of another. As far as
the Northerners need the Igbos, the Igbos need the Yorubas and the
Yorubas need the Hausas.

No doubt we have our differences; we should use these differences to foster our unity.

We want to state clearly without mincing words that the North will
continue to play safe and host the Igbos, no matter the provocations. We
are totally against the balkanization of Nigeria.

We know the price the North has paid from 1914 to date to keep this
country one; we are more determined, committed and willing to continue
to pay the price to keep this country one. Not because we are afraid of
our brothers, nor are we afraid of the future, but for the Labour of our
Hero’s past.

While condemning the action of our brothers, we also want to reiterate
that our Igbo brothers should as a matter of urgency, stop molesting,
frustrating and insulting the Northerners especially our Elders.

Only bastards will stand aloof or fold their hands and watching fellow youths insulting their parents.

While advising them to adhere strictly to the constitution and the rule
of law in their actions and inactions, we are strongly opposed to the
use of violence and hate speeches. We have tolerated these hate speeches
during the 2015 Presidential Campaigns, we will no longer tolerate it
again.

Furthermore, we want to appeal to Federal Government and the Inspector
–General of Police to withdraw forthwith, the directive to arrest the
signatories of the Kaduna declaration.

In our opinion, this decision will boomerang as it will only precipitate
the crisis beyond control. We believe that our brothers in the South
have said more than what our brothers said and they were not arrested.
There is therefore, no justification for their arrest.

We call on the Federal Government through the Office of the Acting
President, to convene a meeting with some genuine Northern Youth Leaders
and their counterparts from the South if and only if these crises are
to be resolved.

The Federal Government also should release the Reports of the past
constitutional conferences and constitute a committee to scrutinize and
bring out the best Report from the Reports.

2019 PRESIDENCY

We are particularly worried with the scheming and maneuvers going on
within the political class as reported by some Newspapers and Magazines
especially the interest shown by some Southern Politicians in the 2019
Presidency.

We have made our position known on the 6th of June, 2017 at Abeokuta during our meeting with the South-west Political Leaders.

We want to reiterate and clearly warn that the North will not and will
never allow the Presidency to move to the South in 2019. In as much as
we can tolerate or pay any sacrifice for the unity of this country, we
remain committed to the North producing the President in 2019.

The experiences of 2011 and 2015 still remain afresh in our minds. To
show our commitment towards this goal, the Northern Youth Leaders Forum
had shortlisted and screened candidates for the 2019 Presidency.

Those shortlisted and screened during our NEC meeting in Kano on the 16th of April 2017 were:

Senator Bukola Saraki

Alh Sule Lamido

Alh Atiku Abubakar

Gov. Nasir El-rufai

Senator Bala Mohammed

Alh Tanimu Turaki (SAN)

Senator Musa Rabiu Kwakwoso

Gov. Ibrahim Dankwambo

Senator Sheriff

Gov. Ibrahim Shettina

Gov. Yari

Gov. Aminu Tambuwal

Out of these twelve persons screened by our Political Committee, the
following were thereafter shortlisted and endorsed by the NEC during our
meeting in Kaduna on the 17th of May, 2017. Senator Bala Mohammed, Alh.
Atiku Abubakar, Alh. Tanimu Turaki (SAN), Gov. Ibrahim Dankwambo.

We sent the endorsed persons to our Patrons and the Leaderships of the
forty – two (42) affiliated Organizations who screened and endorsed only
two candidates who were considered during our meeting on June, 2017 in
Kano.

Out of the two that were endorsed that is Senator Bala Mohammed and Alh.
Atiku Abubakar, Senator Bala Mohammed was finally endorsed and was also
accepted by our patrons.

We believe and strongly too, that Senator Bala Mohammed is a
detribalized Nigerian who does not attach sentiments of religion and
ethnicity in his dealings with any citizen. He also has general goodwill
and acceptability both nationally and internationally. His credibility
is unquestionable and his loyalty and interest of the North within the
national interest is surely not in doubt.

To this end, all the Leaderships of the affiliated Organizations are
hereby directed to organize, hold and submit their Reports to the NEC
meeting before or on 30th August, 2017.

In lieu of this therefore, we want to state clearly without mincing
words that we are fully prepared by the grace of God to repeat what we
have done in 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2015. No amount of intimations,
frustrations and threats will deter us from achieving what we strongly
believe is our right and duty.

We want to send a message to all Political Parties that may field
Southern Presidential Candidates in 2019, that there actions are as good
as committing Political suicide.

Our Elders are also advised to stay clear from supporting any
Presidential Candidate from the South in 2019 as we cannot afford to
gamble with the Presidency as we did in 2011. This is our stand point
and no going back.

In conclusion, we want to call upon all the Northern Youths to embrace
dialogue and seek peace with everyone even in the mist of provocations.
We condemn in strongest term the use of religion and ethnicity by our
elders to divide the North.

Any elder that uses religion or ethnicity during campaigns at any level,
stands rejected even before the elections proper. United we stand and
divided we fall.

Vanguard newspaper

 

JAMB Sets July 1st For 85,000 Candidates With Cancelled Results, Other Issues

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB, has fixed Saturday,
July 1st to conduct supplementary Unified Tertiary Matriculation
Examination, UTME, for 85,000 candidates.

The board’s Head, Media and Information, Fabian Benjamin, announced the date in a statement issued yesterday in Abuja.

According to him, the examination, which is for candidates who
registered late and those with related issues, will be spread across
some Computer Based Testing (CBT) centres.

Affected candidates have been notified through text messages.

Tags

Kemisola Ade

Kemisola Adeyemi is the Assistant Editor of Kemi Filani News. She loves to write and write and write and hopes to own a publishing firm someday! Email: [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
Close