News

Femi Fani-Kayode’s Money Laundering Trial Stalled, Boko Haram Suspect Regains Freedom After Four Years In Custody and other major headlines you missed today…

Dear KFBers, we have got loads of interesting stories in tonight’s #MajorHeadlinesYouMissed feature…enjoy!

Femi Fani-Kayode’s Money Laundering Trial Stalled 
A Federal High Court, Abuja, on Tuesday adjourned the trial of former
Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, until July 7, due to his
counsel’s ill health.

The court on April 25 adjourned the matter for cross examination after
the testimony of the first prosecution witness, Victor Ehiabhi.

At the resumed hearing, the defence counsel, Abubakar Yusuf, who stood
in for Ahmed Raji, informed the court that the defence would not be able
to cross examine the witness due to Mr. Raji’s absence.

Mr. Yusuf said that Mr. Raji was currently receiving treatment abroad and the prosecution had been informed of the development.

The prosecuting counsel, Johnson Ojogbane, who did not oppose the
application for an adjournment, urged the court to make sure the defence
cross examined the witness on the next adjourned date.

After listening to both counsel, Justice John Tsoho adjourned the matter
until July 7 for the cross examination of the first prosecution witness
and continuation of trial.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Mr. Fani-Kayode was arraigned by
EFCC before Justice Tsoho, on a fresh five-count charge bordering on
money laundering.

The ex-aviation minister was accused of allegedly collecting N26 million
from the office of the former National Security Adviser, retired Col.
Sambo Dasuki, and using same for media campaign.

Mr. Fani-Kayode is also facing another 17-count charge of money laundering before the Lagos division of the court.

Boko Haram Suspect Regains Freedom After Four Years In Custody
Federal High Court, Abuja, on Tuesday, discharged a Boko Haram suspect,
Usman Abubakar, who was arraigned alongside six others on terrorism
charges.

Abubakar, the 6th defendant, was allegedly involved in the abduction of
seven foreigners from a construction site in Bauchi, who were taken to
Sambisa Forest, in Borno, where they were murdered in February 2013.

He was charged alongside Mohammed Usman (a.k.a Khalid Al-Barnawi),
Mohammed Bashir Saleh, Umar Mohammed Bello (a.k.a Abu Azzan), Mohammed
Salisu (a.k.a Datti), Yakubu Nuhu (a.k.a Bello Maishayi) and a lady,
Halima Haliru.

They were arraigned on an 11-count bordering on abduction and murder of their victims.

At the resumed trial, the prosecuting counsel, Mr Shuaibu Labaran,
informed the court of the development, which was filed on June 5, saying
that the prosecution has nothing against the 6th defendant.

Labaran said that among other features in the amended information is the
“striking out’’ of Usman Abubakar as a defendant, in line with the
information filed on Feb. 23, 2017.

The prosecution added two other defendants- Mohammed Sani and Abubakar Habib.

READ
Lady who recorded viral video of school girl, Success cries for compensation

They are to be arraigned, bringing the number of defendants to eight.
Labaran prayed the court for an adjournment to enable him to produce the two new defendants for arraignment.

The discharged defendant’s counsel, Mr K. Abdulkarim urged the court to speed up his discharge processes.

The judge, Justice John Tsoho, in a short ruling, struck out the name of the 6th defendant, who has spent four years in custody.

Tsoho adjourned the matter until June 19 for the two defendants to take their plea


 Court Orders Final Forfeiture Of Ikoyi’s $43.4m, £27,800, N23.2m To FG

The Federal High Court in Lagos on Tuesday ordered the permanent forfeiture to
the Federal Government of the sums of $43,449,947, £27,800 and
N23,218,000 recovered from No. 16, Osborne Road,  Flat 7B Osborne
Towers, Ikoyi, Lagos.

The funds had been stashed in iron cabinets and “Ghana-must-go” bags in
the apartment before they were discovered and recovered on April 11,
2017 by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission following
intelligence information.

The anti-graft agency had earlier on April 13, 2017 obtained an interim
court order temporarily forfeiting the funds to the Federal Government.

Justice Muslim Hassan, who granted the interim order, had given 14 days
for anyone interested in the funds to appear before him to show cause
why the money should not be permanently forfeited to the Federal
Government.

But on May 5, 2017 when the matter came up, no one came before the judge to claim the money.

However, a private legal practitioner, Mr. Olukoya Ogungbeje, appeared
before the judge, with an application, urging the judge to suspend the
final forfeiture proceedings pending when a three-man panel constituted
by President Muhammadu Buhari in relation to the funds would submit its
report.

 

INEC Fixes Date For Adeleke’s Replacement 
The Independent National​ Electorial Commission (INEC) has fixed July 8
for Osun-West Senatorial District by-election to elect a new senator for
the constituency after the sudden death of Sen. Isiaka Adeleke.

In a notice by Administrative Secretary, INEC, Osun, Mr E.A Ademusire,
in Osogbo on Monday, conduct of parties’ primaries would commence on
Tuesday through June 14 while the election would hold on July 8.

The notice stated that bye-election was scheduled “consequent upon the
position of the enabling status that bye-elections to fill the declared
vacant seat by the National Assembly be conducted within 30 days upon
the declaration.

“Take note that by the directives of the Chairman, Independent National​
Electoral Commission’s by-election for Osun West Senatorial seat will
hold on Saturday, July 8, 2017.”

Tags

Kemisola Ade

Kemisola Adeyemi is the Assistant Editor of Kemi Filani News. She loves to write and write and write and hopes to own a publishing firm someday! Email: [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
Close