We will suspend strike if we receive alert – ASUU
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Nasarawa State University, Keffi chapter, said on Wednesday that members would only suspend their ongoing strike when they receive bank alerts of the 20 per cent out of the total Earned Academic Allowance (EAA) owed them by the institution.
Dr Theophilus Daniel-Lagi, branch Chairman of ASUU, made this known on Wednesday while addressing newsmen at the end of the union’s meeting in Keffi.
Daniel-Lagi said that the union had shifted its ground to receive the 20 per cent out of the 40 per cent, while the remaining 20 per cent would be paid by December following the intervention of the University Governing Council and other stakeholders in the state.
On March 7, ASUU of Nasarawa State University embarked on an indefinite strike. The demands include the general funding of the university, review of the university law to conform with the 2003 Act as obtained in other public universities, promotion guidelines, tax relief and Earned Academic Allowance.
3000 ‘ghost workers, schools’ discovered in Kogi
The committee handling the screening and verification exercise of civil servants in Kogi State has discovered 3000 accounts operated by ghost workers.
Chairman of the screening exercise, Brig. General Paul Okutimo (Rtd) who made the sterling revelation Wednesday in Lokoja while speaking with newsmen also said the committee discovered N20 million being siphoned every month by top civil servant handling the state pension scheme.
Okutimo however denounce the rumour that the exercise was out to retrenched workers said, it was set up to identified the genuine workers and restructure the civil service. “I promised that no worker in the state would be unjustly screened out of work. The move is to sanitise the system and ensure that only genuine workers are paid with the state’s resources. “From the exercise we discovered that those cabals operates 3000 accounts for ghost workers. One of them operates 63 different accounts, while another has 23 accounts”. “Some of them uses their ATM from ‘diaspora’ while some just get the employment on political patronage and will not come to work but get engaged in others activities. “Apart from thousands of account numbers opened to service ghost workers in the state, the committee also discovered existence of ghost schools in various parts of the state during the exercise.
Court dissolves 17-year-old marriage over secret house built by wife
A Lagos Island Customary Court on Wednesday dissolved the 17-year-old marriage between a transporter, Haruna Amunikoro, and his wife, Alimotu, after he complained that his wife built a house without informing him. Granting the husband’s request, the court President, Mr Awos Awosola, said that the effort of the court to reconcile the parties had failed, as Amunikoro insisted on divorce.
The petitioner , told the court that his wife, a trader, bought a plot of land in Ikorodu and built a bungalow on it without letting him know.
“My wife has also started giving out tricycle and motorcycle to riders and they pay for them on installment, which is the same business that I do. “I have warned her severally to stop the business but she would not listen. On two occasions she has stabbed me with a kitchen knife and a scissors. “My wife is not sincere with me. She hides so many things about herself from me. I cannot cope with her secretive ways any more, please separate us,’’ he pleaded with the court.
Alimotu, who did not deny the allegations, said that she started being secretive with her husband because of the sudden change in his behaviour and his infidelity. She told the court that their marriage which was once blissful took a different turn in 2012 when they rented their own apartment. “We were staying in my husband’s family house before we rented our own apartment in 2012, since then my husband has been unfaithful to me. “He brings different kinds of women into our matrimonial home and sleeps with them on our bed. “Whenever I confronted him, he beats me. On three occasions my husband beat me to a pulp and stripped me naked. “I joined him in doing the same business because it is a lucrative one, but since I started it, I have had no rest of mind,’’ she said. Alimotu, who had consistently prayed the court to reconcile them as she still loved her husband, however, pleaded with the court to dissolve the marriage without further delay. “Since I have been begging my husband and his family for so long and nothing positive have come of it, please dissolve the marriage so I can go on with my life,’’ she said.
Democracy Day: FG declares May 30 public holiday
The Federal Government has declared Monday, May 30 as public holiday to celebrate the 2016 Democracy Day. The Minister of Interior, Retired Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau made the declaration on behalf of the Federal Government on Wednesday in Abuja. A statement signed by the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry, Mr Bassey Akpanyung, quoted the minister as wishing Nigerians happy democracy day celebration. He assured Nigerians that with the signing into law of the 2016 Appropriation Act, the country would witness a “New Deal” with its full implementation. The minister noted that the 2016 Appropriation Act was laced with social intervention programmes aimed at improving the living conditions of the populace. Dambazau congratulated Nigerians on the attainment of one year in office of President Muhammadu Buhari and enjoined all to continue to support the President in his sustained effort to build a peaceful, enduring and democratic legacy.
Woman bags 2 months jail term for duping her partner
A Bwari Chief Magistrates’ Court in Abuja on Wednesday sentenced 36-year-old businesswoman, Martha Ali, to two months imprisonment for duping her business partner N175, 000. Martha, a resident of Kuduru, Bwari, Abuja, was charged with criminal breach of trust and cheating and she pleaded guilty. The Chief Magistrate, Mrs Akanni Idayat-Olaide, sentenced the convict to two months imprisonment with an option of N2, 000 fine on counts one. Idayat-Olaide also ordered the convict to pay a compensation of N175, 000 to the complainant or serve six months imprisonment without an option of fine. “The convict has not shown this court any reason not to be convicted as charged as the court does not believe in her explanation. “If it was her money, she wouldn’t have given it to people she does not know, she should go and bring the money and give to the owner, the magistrate ruled. Martha said she gave the money to the people who she believed would bring the goods but unfortunately, they disappeared for more than a month. She pleaded with the court to temper justice with mercy. Earlier, Mrs Agnes Aluko- Adewumi, a Senior State Counsel, told the court that Joy Philus reported the matter at the Bwari Police Station on May 20. Aluko- Adewumi said that the defendant had in the month of March approached the complainant and convinced her to part with the said sum to buy corn, locust beans and wrappers for her. This, she said, was to enable the complainant make more profit, but instead the defendant converted the money for her own use.
LASG signs N790Bn MoU on 4th Mainland Bridge
Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State, today (Wednesday), signed the Memorandum of Understanding with investor on the much talked about construction of the proposed 4th Mainland Bridge project. Lagos State Government had recently marked no fewer than 800 structures and shanties for relocation to allow for the construction of the project.
Here are 6 things you should know about the 4th mainland bridge.
1.The 38km bridge and expressway will serve as an alternative route to the Eastern axis and de-congest traffic in the State.
2. The proposed alignment passes through Lekki,
Langbasa and Baiyeiku towns along the shoreline of the Lagos Lagoon
estuaries, further running through Igbogbo River Basin and crossing the
Lagos Lagoon estuaries to Itamaga Area in Ikorodu. It then crosses the
Itoikin road and the Ikorodu – Sagamu Road to connect Isawo inward Lagos
Ibadan Expressway at Ojodu Berger axis.
3. The bridge would be made up of  interchanges
to facilitate effective inter-connectivity between different parts of
4. This structure will be a four-lane dual carriageway with each comprising  lanes and  metres hard shoulder on each side.
5. The bridge will be constructed to have a generous
median to allow for both future carriageway expansion and light rail
6. There is no gainsaying the fact that huge
benefits will be derived from this project but most importantly, make
life more comfortable for Lagosians.
The Seme Area Border Command of the Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, yesterday, seized 12 trucks carrying smuggled rice following a tip-off on unusual movements around the Ikoga area of Badagry in Lagos. In a statement, the command’s Public Relation Officer, Mr. Taupyen Selchang said that the seizure was the biggest in the history of the command, adding that about 2,131 bags (50kg each) were confiscated from smugglers. The Duty Paid Value of the seizure, according to Taupyen, was put at N23,973,750. He disclosed that the imported rice was smuggled through Ere-Creeks, which border Lagos and Ogun states. According to the command’s spokesman, no casualty was recorded during the operation as information regarding the seizure was well managed amongst the officers involved in the operation. Meanwhile, the Customs Area Comptroller, Mr. Victor Dimka, re-iterated that the change in leadership in Seme border had re-invigorated the enforcement unit and intensified the enforcement of government fiscal policies to meet the current dynamics of smuggling through the creeks. The Comptroller also said that investigation had commenced, adding that the perpetrators of this act will face the consequences of their action.
The Federal Government has appointed six chief executive officers for parastatals under the Ministry of Information and Culture.
The appointments were announced in Abuja on Wednesday by the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed.
Mr. Ishaq Kawu was appointed as the new Director-General of the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission while Mr. Mansur Liman was appointed as the Director-General, Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria .
Dr. Garba Abari was appointed as the new Director-General, National Orientation Agency while Mr. Bayo Onanuga is the new Managing Director of the News Agency of Nigeria.In a statement issued by the Special Adviser to the Minister of Information and Culture, Segun Adeyemi, on Wednesday, Mr. Yakubu Mohammed , was also announced as the new Director-General, Nigerian Television Authority.
Also appointed was Mr. Osita Okechukwu as the Director-General, Voice of Nigeria .
“The new appointees replace the chief executives of the parastatals, who were disengaged on Feb. 15, 2016. The appointments take immediate effect,” the statement noted.
Enugu attack: Police arrest five herdsmen
The Nigeria Police Force says it has arrested five suspects for their role in the Enugu attack by suspected herdsmen which led to the death of about 20 persons in the Ukpabi Nimbo area of the state on April 25, 2016.
The Force Public Relations Officer, Olabisi Kolawole, said this in a statement on Wednesday.
She said, “The Nigeria Police Force in its renewed determination to rid the society of crimes and all forms of criminality, has arrested five of the suspects involved in the midnight raid on Nimbo community in the Uzo-Uwani Local Government Area of Enugu State April 25, 2016 as operatives of the IGP’s Intelligence Response Team based on credible technical intelligence swooped on them.
“The IGP’s IRT, based on the intelligence gathered on the attack, arrested the following suspects viz: Mohammed Zurai, Ciroma Musa, Sale Adamu, Suleiman Laute and Haruna Laute.”
Buy from street hawkers and be jailed – Kaduna govt
The Kaduna state government has enacted a law that makes it a criminal offence for any person that buys from a street hawker, making both the hawker and buyer liable for prosecution. The Spokesman of Kaduna State House of Assembly, Nuhu Goro Shadalafiya, who made this known to newsmen in Kaduna yesterday said, Governor Nasir El-Rufai should be credited for new act passed last month. The member who also spoke against the allegation that the 34-member KDHA have been compromised with new exotic cars, said that the cars were for the official works of the 34 Chairmen of the 34 committees of the House as every member of the House chairs a committee. On the anti-hawking law, he said: “We have also pass a bill into law to checkmate hawkers who deprive people from owning shops.
Man to clean court premises for punching friend’s nose
A 28- year –old man, Sa’abi Yahuza, is to clean the premises of a Lugbe Grade 1 Area Court, Abuja, as punishment, for punching the nose of his friend.
The court which premises he is to clean, handed down the punishment on Wednesday, after Yahuza had pleaded guilty to a count charge of assault. Yahuza, a labourer and a resident of River Part Estate, Abuja, had admitted acting wrongly by punching the nose of his friend. “I plead with this court to reduce my punishment for I know I am guilty of the offence; I am so sorry for what I did. “I have a wife and children to take care of; please sir, tamper justice with mercy; I will never fight or beat anybody again,’’ he pleaded.
The Trial Judge, Mr Garba Ogbede, said the convict’s plea had saved the court the pains of a prolonged prosecution, and that the punishment would have been more severe had he not pleaded guilty.
However, Ogbede added that in arriving at the sentence, the court took into consideration that the convict had a wife and children to look after.
40 Nigerians deported from Australia, UK
Australia and the United Kingdom on Wednesday deported 40 Nigerians for the breach of various immigration offences.
Daily Sun learnt that the Nigerians who were sent parking from the two
countries arrived the country via two chartered aircraft that touched
down the Murtala Muhammed International Airport between 7.25am and 8am
The chartered aircraft with the registration number ZTA -4741 brought
into the country 36 Nigerians comprising 29 males and seven females,
while Air Seychelles with the registration number SND-1 brought in four
“The deportees were forced out of their host countries for overstaying
their visas and for the breach of other immigration offences,” said a
source at the Lagos airport.
“But apart from the 40 Nigerians, there were also citizens from other
Africa countries deported some of them from Ghana, Liberia and Egypt,”
the source added.
Officials of the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS), the Police and
National Agency for Protection and Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) were
at the airport to receive the deportees, and to actually ascertain that
those allowed into the country were true Nigerian citizens.
“Some of the deportees were angry and violent when officers of the
Nigerian Immigration Service attached to the international wing of the
airport attempted to collect their fingerprints for data purpose,” said
the source who didn’t want to be mentioned.
“But others who didn’t kick against the fingerprinting were swiftly
attended to by the officers and were allowed to leave the airport after
the completion of their documentations,” he added.
The Public Relations Officer of the Nigerian Immigration Service, Mr.
Ekpedeme King who confirmed the deportation in a chat with aviation
correspondents on phone however said he was constrained to speak more on
the subject as he was yet to get the full details on why they affected
Nigerians were deported.
Indonesia Signs Law to Chemically Castrate Child Rapists
be 10 years. “Convicts can be micro chipped for easy monitoring by
authorities and their names may be published,” he noted.
sentenced seven teenagers to 10 years in prison for raping and murdering
a 14-year-old girl in April.
this month, two men were arrested on the outskirts of Jakarta for
allegedly raping and killing an 18-year-old girl by assaulting her with a