our newbies, the KFB foodie talk column – handled by Dobby of Dobbysignature – is basically for ladies and
‘guys’ that are interested in learning how to cook better ;).
We have however got a guest for today’s food lesson – Media personality Matse Uwatse Nnoli to discuss how to make shredded Turkey and Ponmo Yam Pottage.
Matse blogs at Matsecooks.com 🙂
and couldn’t resist the urge to eat yam anymore but I didn’t want the
traditional palm oil pottage (asaro). I wanted something different with
an entirely different taste yet very delicious.
totally irresistible and irresistible is what I got; The Shredded Turkey
and Ponmo Yam Pottage.
Inside my freezer was chicken, goat meat, some fish, shrimps and ponmo. I
thought about using fish but asaro is known to go with fish, so bye bye
to fish. Goat meat…naaa! Chicken… na na na! Turkey…hummmm. Ponmo…O yes!
Armed with my ponmo and turkey, I decided to cook this deliciousness.
Are you ready for this?! It is no rocket science, so I believe you
will cook it quite easily. Feel free to be adventurous with your
vegetables. I used, green peas, onions and habanero peppers. If you
cannot stand the heat of habanero pepper, substitute it with red bell
Cook the turkey with onion slices, thyme, seasoning and salt. Make sure
you use a lot of water for the cooking. The stock gotten from the turkey
meat will serve as a base for the pottage. When it is almost done, add
the ponmo to the pot. We want the ponmo to soak up the deliciousness of
When the pot starts boiling, add 1-2 teaspoons of white pepper. Use 2
teaspoons if you like your pottage extra spicy. You will be swept away
with the aroma of the white pepper. It fills the kitchen immediately it
gets into the pot. You see, White pepper has a very earthy smell and
taste. It is used in Asian delicacies and gives a unique flavour to the
Add salt and seasoning to your taste. Allow to cook for 10 minutes.
Here is a handy printable.
- 1/2 medium yam tuber
- 300g turkey meat (shredded)
- 6 ponmo rolls (sliced)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 cup green peas
- 4 habanero pepper (sliced)
- Seasoning cube
- Spice and cook turkey in water with thyme, onion, seasoning cubes and salt.
- Add the ponmo towards the end of the cooking to soak up some of the stock.
- Remove the turkey and ponmo from the stock.
- Shred turkey and slice the ponmo.
- Peel and cut yams into chunks.
- Now, add enough water to cook the yams into the stock pot.
- Add the yam chunks and bring to boil.
- Sprinkle in the white pepper, seasoning cubes and salt to taste. Cook for some time.
- Add the vegetable oil and allow to blend in.
- Follow up with the shredded turkey and ponmo.
- Then add the green peas and finish up with the pepper.
- Serve warm.