If you have lived outside of Nigeria long enough, you must have gotten
questions like the ones below. Not only are they ridiculous, but some
of them are downright offensive.
1. Question: How did you get here (to America)?
Answer: I swung from tree to tree across oceans and seas, and Voila! Here I am!
2. Question: Do you live in mud houses?
Answer: But of course we do. In fact *whips out a leather bag
with a hut engraved on it* This was my hut in Ghana. It was on a tree,
right next to your (American) father’s hut.
3. Question: What are those marks on your face? *referring to tribal marks*
Answer: Oh! I got them while fighting lions and tigers.
4. Question: Do you know [insert name of “random-African-you-just-met-today” here e.g. Kunle]? He’s a tall, black, skinny, African guy.
Preferred Answer: *blank stare and walks away*
Alternate Answer: Oh, do you know Bob? He’s a tall, skinny white guy, and he goes to this school.
5. Question: Do Africans wear clothes?
Preferred Answer: See Answer to # 4.
**Bonus Question: Do Africans
have tails? *No Answer* I mean, Dear Reader, kindly look behind you
and answer this question. Do you have a tail? *smh*
The sad part about all this is not just that someone would ask such
ignorant questions, but that that person would actually believe these answers.
So, what ridiculous questions have you been asked and what were your answer?