You would be shocked if you realised some facts about cancer. However,
these facts are not to scare you but to make you appreciate the
“prevention is better than cure” approach to cancer, which is one of the
basic aim of the National Cancer Prevention Program (NCPP).
- Worldwide, one of every three persons are being diagnosed with
cancer, and it is estimated that by 2015, this disease will afflict one
in two persons
- Cancer is the most expensive illness in the world today. Its economic toll was $895 billion in 2008.
- 80% of cancer deaths take place in poor countries due to lack of funds
- Annually 100,000 Nigerians are diagnosed with cancer, and 80,000 die from the disease
- Most cancer deaths can be prevented: According to World Health
Organization (WHO, 2003), 1/3 of all cancer cases can be prevented,
another 1/3 can be effectively cured with early diagnosis, and
palliative care can improve the quality of life of the last third”
Kindly visit www.phcc.org.ng for more information. They are Nigeria’s first comprehensive cancer prevention, treatment and research centre.